Saturday, February 14, 2015

What a weird, great Valentine's Day!

I got back to my apartment and there was a single mylar balloon tied to my doorknob. I was so dumbstruck because I didn't even have a girlfriend.

So I went inside my apartment with the balloon and put it right next to the door. At that point I heard a baby crying outside. This was weird because I live in a gated area and none of my neighbors have kids. I opened the door and there was a baby in a crib right by my front door! This baby was maybe a year old. Why was a baby laying here by my door? I looked around to see if someone was around and watching me, but no one was there. I didn't know what to do. I pulled the covers below the baby and touched it's face lightly with my index and middle finger. I guess fatherhood is instinctive to me?

At this point, Veronica's voice calls out from the gates. She's my ex-girlfriend. I go over and there she is. She smiles at me and I open the latch for her to come in. She hugs me and I ask her what she's doing and what a surprise this is. Then she stops when she sees the baby crib behind me. "Who's is this?" she asked. I smiled at her. She's such a joker. But her face is serious as can be. "This isn't your baby?" I ask. She shakes her head. Now we're both puzzled.

I ask her to sit with the baby as I grab my phone from in the apartment. Maybe I can check my messages to see if something came up. I go in and grab my phone. I check my inbox but nothing new. I go outside and there he is.

My former lover, Jack. I had a one time homosexual experience as a teenager and it was with Jack. We loved each other so much but those were different times. What the hell, this is awkward. "Hey, I jumped the gate. I was gonna surprise you." He said modestly. He jumps in and gives me the biggest hug. In shock, I trembly introduce Veronica and Jack. I explain that the baby showed up on my doorstep.

At this point, I'm at a complete loss. And that's when things became awesome. Giamo, my puppy from twenty years ago was waiting at the gate. I knew it was Giamo because he still had the same red necktie I put on him the day he disappeared. He looked only a few years older than the last time I saw him too.

This was the greatest day. I got a baby, a girlfriend and a boyfriend, and my puppy was back and still alive after twenty years. Then it all became amazing. "Danny?", I heard from the gates. It was my mother! She was back from the dead to tell me how much she loved me. What a wonderfully weird, but great Valentine's Day!

No comments: