Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Dear Mr. "blank"

Dear Mr. Blank:
I am a young Iranian writer-a newcomer both to the great state of California and to the craft of screenwriting. In the past year and a half I have written three screenplays(more accurately, two and a half-the first was a one hour thing comissioned by an Austrailian director who had seen a short story of mine.)
I also wrote a feature-length script of Napoleon, knowing full well that costume dramas are not a hot ticket with the studios. I was right, however, in thinking that the executives would be more likely to show interest in work from an unknown, if they recognized the subject. Thus I've been able to get Napoleon read by production v.p.'s at Fox, Paramount and Harvey Weinstein of the Weinstein brothers. They were positive about the quality of my work, but the consistent refrain is that it would be too expensive to produce.
My other screenplay is a better prospect, commercially, being a spy thriller dealing with a conservative who comes into possession of some important terrorist documents. I sent it to Harvey Weinstein last week.
So you see, I am neither an absolute beginner, nor totally naive about the business aspects of screenwriting. Since I am without an agent, however, I do seek representation and how to proceed from here. If you could spare an hour to talk to me, I would appreciate it. I promise not to ask for introductions to anybody or beg you to read my work.
There may be no great profit in such a meeting for you, but perhaps it would not be entirely disagreeable. I am not a fool nor(despite the evidence at hand) am I by nature a forward person. The tradition of older writers advising younger is both long and honourable, and I hope you will consider my request in that light.
Respectfully,
Danny Derakhshan

No comments: